- 27 Oct, 2016 - Exam Venue
The examination venues for SDE modules for semester 1 AY2016-2017 will be held at Multi-Purpose Sports Hall (MPSH 1, 2, 4, 5 & 6), College of Alice and Peter Tan Multi-Purpose Hall (CAPT-MPH) and U-Town Auditorium 2. Please click here to access the location map .
- 20 Oct, 2016 - SDE clinches two awards for Commencement Class giving
As they said, the family that gives together, grows together!
Congratulations to the graduating class of the National University of Singapore (NUS) School of Design and Environment (SDE) for scooping two accolades at the recent Commencement Class Giving awards! In the “Faculty between 400 and 1,200 graduating students” category, the Final Year students were rewarded for their fundraising efforts by receiving the Top Achievement Award – for the School with the highest participation rate in giving by graduating students – as well as the Leap Award – for the School that showed the greatest improvement in participation in giving by graduating student.
Read more at http://giving.nus.edu.sg/sde-clinches-two-awards-for-commencement-class-giving .
- 19 Oct, 2016 - NUS-PSE Smile Village Project
"A warm smile is the universal language of kindness."
With the NUS-PSE (Pour un Sourired’ Enfant) Smile Village project, a team of 15 students, two faculty members and two student advisors from the Department of Architecture at NUS School of Design & Environment (SDE) collaborated with the NGOs, Solution to End Poverty in Singapore and PSE in Cambodia, to build a playground for children living at Smile Village in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Read more of their good work at https://goo.gl/nsMnO5!
- 18 October 2016
Congratulations to our recent graduate of NUS Department of Architecture (NUSDOA), Zhang Zhirong, for achieving a Masters of Architecture! Despite seemingly insurmountable challenges, Zhirong’s determination and resilience equipped him with the grit to take on these odds and overcame them successfully. Read more about Zhirong’s inspiring journey on how his positive attitude and former primary school teacher led him to achieve his master’s degree at http://bit.ly/2emilUA .
- 23 September 2016 – Honourable Mention in the Fast Company Innovation by Design Award 2016
Congratulations to our Division of Industrial Design alumnus Khaw Yee Jek for winning the Honourable Mention in the Students category of the Fast Company Innovation by Design Award 2016. The awards, judged by a diverse group of design leaders, represent a cross-section of innovative ideas and creations, with over 1700 submissions received from applicants in 41 countries this year.
- 16 September 2016 - Singapore Winner of James Dyson Award 2016
Loren Lim, a recent graduate of Division of Industrial Design, has been awarded National Winner in this year's James Dyson Award. His winning project, Oneware, is a series of modular units that aids individuals with only one functioning arm in food preparation and dish washing. The international winner, selected by James Dyson, will be revealed on 27 October.
[Read More from Straits Times]
- 16 September 2016 – Gold and Merit Winners of Liteon Awards 2016
Congratulations to our Division of Industrial Design alumni Raymond Hon and Sylvia Ang for winning the Gold Award in the Design Category at the Liteon Awards 2016 for their project "SP3 Intraocular Lens Injector"! WArTT, another submission by Raymond Hon, won the Liteon Merit Award.
[read more (mandarin)]
- 1 September 2016 – Spirit of Giving Recognised at the NUS Commencement Class Giving 2016
At the recent NUS Annual Giving Appreciation Night, the School of Design and Environment (SDE) won the Top Achievement Award and the Leap Award for the highest participation and best improved participation amongst faculties between 400 and 1,200 graduating students. In addition, Victoria Tan Siew Hoo, a recent Department of Real Estate graduate and a Class Champions from SDE, received the Outstanding Achiever Award.
- 29 August 2016 - Buildings should be net zero, says architecture dean
Ahead of the International Green Building Conference in Sept 2016, Professor Lam Khee Poh, Dean of National University of Singapore’s School of Design and Environment, tells Eco-Business why he wants his students to embrace sustainability in their education and work.
[Read more from eco-business]
[Read More from todayeco]
- 15 July 2016 - “Vertical Cities Asia International Design Competition: Everyone Contributes” Exhibition Opening
The “Vertical Cities Asia International Design Competition: Everyone Contributes” Exhibition and a book by the same title have been launched officially. read more.
- 29 June 2016 - Designing Resilience in Asia 2016 International Design Competition and Symposium
The National University of Singapore’s (NUS) School of Design and Environment (SDE) announced the winners of the “Designing Resilience In Asia 2016 International Design Competition”. This annual student competition seeks to engender Asian communities’ resiliency in light of natural disasters.
- 29 June 2016 - New dean on board
NUS has appointed Prof Lam Khee Poh as the new Dean of School of Design and Environment. Prof Lam will succeed Prof Heng Chye Kiang on 18 July 2016.
- 30 May 2016 - SDE industrial design students design sustainable exhibition stand for L’Oréal at one of world’s largest trade fairs
For the fourth time LOréal Travel Retail Asia Pacific has collaborated with the Division of Industrial Design (DID), School of Design and Environment (SDE), National University of Singapore (NUS) on a platform project open to students from their second year onwards.
- 24 May 2016 - Creativity at play
From a disappearing souvenir to a device that inflates when you consume too much energy, there was no shortage of talent or inspiration at this year’s NUS Division of Industrial Design (DID) Graduation Show. More than 50 innovative creations by current and graduating DID students at NUS School of Design and Environment were on display at the National Design Centre from 21 to 24 May. read more.
- 13 May 2016 - NUS at Venice Biennale
NUS Architecture will be curating, for the first time, the Singapore Pavilion at the 15th International Architecture Exhibition (Biennale Architettura 2016) of the La Biennale di Venezia (Venice Biennale) in Venice, Italy. Students from the department will also be acting as docents throughout the event, held from 28 May to 27 November. read more.
- 08 Apr 2016 - Life after Antarctica
Spending 13 days in austere Antarctica with like-minded adventurers inspired NUS student Quang Nu Tuong Nhan not to give up on her dream of being an environmental changemaker. read more.
- 22 March 2016 - World's #9 in Architecture/ Built Environment
NUS School of Design and Environment has been named the world's #9 in Architecture/ Built Environment in the latest QS World University Rankings by Subject 2016. read more.
- 22 March 2016 - NUS and CDL partner to develop novel technologies for smart, green living
NUS School of Design and Environment and City Developments Limited (CDL) announced their partnership in promoting innovations in smart, green building technologies. CDL made a gift of S$2.25 million to the School to establish two new research laboratories dedicated to the study of smart building technologies for indoor and outdoor environments, and to provide funding for research projects. These initiatives, which are also supported by the Economic Development Board (EDB), will further entrench Singapore’s position as a leading international Smart City and improve the quality of life in our highly urbanised environment.. read more.
- 03 March 2016 - Groovy lanterns light up bay
Groove Light, a project by a team of 11 Year 4 NUS Architecture students, will be showcased at the i Light Marina Bay 2016 event from 4 March. This is the first time the Department is participating in Asia’s leading sustainable light art festival organised by the Urban Redevelopment Authority. read more.
- 29 February 2016 - SDE Department of Building is Top in the World for International Construction Research
A bibliometric analysis of research in international construction that appears recently in the Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering has placed the National University of Singapore (NUS) top in the world in this field of study. As far as single-country publications are concerned, NUS ranked first with 12 articles. Professor Low Sui Pheng from the Department of Building of NUS School of Design and Environment (SDE) contributed to eight papers all of which are single-country publications. Sixteen papers that have been cited at least 25 times were written by 32 authors from 10 countries. Of these, NUS contributed to the largest number of most cited articles. These most cited articles were authored/co-authored by Professor George Ofori, Professor Florence Ling and Professor Low Sui Pheng, all of whom are from the Department of Building of SDE. read more.
- 05 February 2016 - Winsome NUS designs
A face mask with micro-ventilator, an artisan table inspired by a rainbow-hued Malay dessert, and “bungalows in the sky” with dramatic green sky terraces were among the winning creations by NUS staff, students and alumni at the President’s Design Award 2015. In addition, an alumnus Mr Siew Man Kok won the prestigious Designer of the Year Award for embracing local climate and topicality, while showing sensitivity to the social, cultural and tropical context of his works. read more.
- 20 January 2016 - Designs for active ageing
How can design enhance the experience of ageing? This was the question that led three teams from NUS Industrial Design to create their award-winning prototypes during a two-day design marathon organised by DesignSingapore Council. read more.
- 19 November 2015 - SDE architecture alumnus and advisory member honoured at NUS Alumni Awards 2015
The National University of Singapore (NUS) honoured the achievements of 19 outstanding alumni at the prestigious NUS Alumni Awards 2015. Architecture alumnus Mr Edward D’Silva, Senior Advisor, SAA Architects; Chairman, Seniors Committee, Central Community Development Council; and SDE School Advisory Committee Member, received the Distinguished Alumni Service Award, while Mr Ouyang Xiuzhang, Head of APAC Energy and Metals and Senior Country Representative for China, Noble Group; and SDE School Advancement Advisory Council Member, was presented with the Outstanding Young Alumni Award. Held biennially, the Awards recognise alumni who have excelled locally and internationally, and have made significant contributions to the University and society. read more.
- 19 November 2015 - NUS School of Design and Environment establishes Centre for Integrated Building Energy and Sustainability in the Tropics to advance research in building sustainability and energy efficiency
The National University of Singapore’s (NUS) School of Design and Environment today inaugurated the Centre for Integrated Building Energy and Sustainability in the Tropics (CiBEST) to develop cutting-edge expertise in designing energy efficient and sustainable buildings in the tropical climate. Over a period of five years, CiBEST, which is based in the Department of Building, will receive funding of close to S$3 million to strengthen and deepen its capabilities to develop itself as a global leader in this important area that is strategic for Singapore as the nation makes rapid progress to become a Smart Nation. read more.
- 16 November 2015 - Undergrad Innovator
Meet Chua Sheng Chuan, a fourth-year undergraduate from the School of Design and Environment. The ambitious innovator with a “can do” spirit spent more than 400 hours researching, designing and building his very own carbon fibre road bicycle which he now uses on a daily basis to travel to school. He aspires to one day build and fly his own aircraft. read more.
- 4 November 2015 - Nifty designs address daily needs Flex, a modernised walking cane for the elderly developed by Year 3 Industrial Design student Kevin Chiam was one of the inventions on display at the inaugural Global Grad Show as part of Dubai Design Week. Held from 26 to 31 October at the Dubai Design District, the exhibition showcased 50 innovative projects handpicked from 10 international design schools and tertiary institutions by curator Mr Brendan McGetrick, one of which was NUS. read more.
- 1 October 2015 - NUS School of Design and Environment signed a MOU with Électricité de France on research collaboration
The National University of Singapore’s (NUS) School of Design and Environment (SDE) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with global energy generator Électricité de France (EDF) to develop new planning processes that include energy considerations at the design stage. read more
- 10 September 2015 - Inspirational Antarctica
Last semester, NUS students Tan Chee Wee and Prerna Shah travelled more than 22,000 km for a personal encounter with one of Earth’s great wilderness, the Antarctica. The students from the Master of Science (Environmental Management) (MEM) programme are believed to be the first from the University to make this expedition. read more.
- 9 July 2015 - Vertical Cities Asia International Design Competition 2015
The National University of Singapore’s (NUS) School of Design and Environment, together with international philanthropic organisation World Future Foundation Ltd (WFF) and Beijing Vantone Citylogic Investment Corporation (Vantone Citylogic), announced the winners of the “Vertical Cities Asia International Design Competition 2015: Everyone Contributes” today. This annual student competition seeks to address the problems of urban sprawl, congestion and pollution faced by Asia’s overcrowded cities. read more.
- 25 June 2015 - Bringing on smiles
A one-of-its-kind playground built by 22 NUS Architecture students became an instant hit, delighting not only the underprivileged children in Smile Village in Phnom Penh, Cambodia it was intended for, but also kids from the surrounding neighbourhoods. Smile Village, a community project initiated in 2012 by Pour un Sourire d'Enfant (PSE) and Solutions to End Poverty which the Architecture Department participated in, is a new village built specifically to house 170 PSE beneficiary families evicted from slums. read more.
- 8 June 2015 - Rustic Ubin re-envisioned
Naturing Ubin, an exhibition of 36 projects by NUS Architecture students, displays ideas on how Pulau Ubin could fulfil its rustic potential. The exhibition, held at The URA Centre from 28 May to 17 June, showcases design solutions for the island located off the north-eastern corner of mainland Singapore. read more.
- 2 June 2015 - Winning designs
NUS Industrial Design alumni have shone well at the international stage, as seen by recent graduates Kwek Wenshu and Eason Chow who won the prestigious iF Student Design Award and Stanford Longevity Technology Prize respectively. read more.
- 28 May 2015 - Playing house
A recent film titled 03-FLATS, conceptualised by Assistant Professor Lilian Chee from the NUS Department of Architecture, has won widespread acclaim for its intimate and thought-provoking counter-narrative of public housing in Singapore. It recently garnered best ASEAN documentary at the 5th Salaya International Documentary Film Festival in Thailand. read more.
- 27 May 2015 - Designed to improve lives
Over 50 innovative designs by students from the NUS Division of Industrial Design (DID) were displayed at this year’s NUS Industrial Design Graduation Show. The annual event showcases the thesis projects of DID’s graduating cohort along with projects from design platforms over the past year and the latest innovations by the NUS School of Design & Environment’s Design Incubation Centre. read more.
- 14 May 2015 - Students ace real estate contest
NUS Real Estate student team defended their championship title at the 2015 University of Southern California (USC) Marshall International Real Estate Case Competition, clinching the top spot for the second year running. This is the University’s fifth win at the annual event organised by the USC Marshall Business School, reflecting the most number of victories by any university since the inaugural round in 2004. read more.
- 29 April 2015 - World's top 10 and Asia's best in Architecture/Built Environment
NUS has been named among the world’s 10 best universities for 11 subjects across disciplines in Architecture/Built Environment, Engineering, Science, and the Social Sciences, in the latest Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings by Subject. The University is also Asia’s best across 21 subjects, up from 18 subjects last year. read more.
- 10 March 2015 - Centre transforms construction outlook
The NUS Centre of Excellence (COE) in Building Information Modeling (BIM), launched in February, aims to transform the way people design, deliver and manage built environments using BIM innovation and practice. The BIM Centre is hosted by the Departments of Building and Architecture, and supported by BIM researchers from the NUS Faculty of Engineering. read more.
- 31 Oct 2014 - Nursing homes re-imagined
The Department of Architecture launched a first-of-its-kind resource book on re-designing nursing homes in high-rise, high-density Asian cities. read more.
- 18 September 2014 - Researching Sustainability in Dense Urban Environments
The Centre for Sustainable Asian Cities held their inaugural Research Symposium: Researching Sustainability in Dense Urban Environments. read more
- 14 July 2014 - The National University of Singapore's (NUS) School of Design and Environment, together with international philanthropic organisation World Future Foundation Ltd (WFF) and Beijing Vantone Citylogic Investment Corporation (Vantone Citylogic), announced the winners of the fourth "Vertical Cities Asia International Design Competition 2014: Everyone Connects" today. This annual student competition seeks to address the problems of urban sprawl, congestion and pollution faced by Asia's overcrowded cities. read more.
- 4 July 2014 - Industrial Design students at the NUS School of Design and Environment (SDE) are harnessing their creativity to come up with designs that address real-life healthcare issues. They have developed innovative prototypes, including practical solutions for surgical simulation and easier bone marrow examination. read more.
- 6 May 2014 - The School of Design and Environment (SDE) has received the Best Overseas Research Partner Award from Beijing Vantone Citylogic Investment Corporation, to recognize its fruitful collaborations in the research projects carried out by the Centre for Sustainable Asian Cities and the Vertical Cities Asia International Design Competition series. read more.
December 2013 - President's Design accolades for NUS designers
Six designers from NUS' School of Design and Environment have been honoured with the President's Design Awards 2013. The highest accolades in Singapore bestowed on designers and design projects, the awards recognise the achievements and contributions of Singapore designers who are making a difference to the lives of Singaporeans and that of the larger global community. read more.
- 4 December 2013 - Social innovation designs address water challenges
An exhibition of "cool" designs at the NUS Central Library Lobby has stopped many students in their tracks despite their current preoccupation with studies and examination. The "Social Innovation – Design for Society: Water Challenges" by the NUS Division of Industrial Design (DID), School of Design and Environment, shows off the selected work of 24 undergraduates, and will be on display until 6 December 2013. read more.
16 September 2013 - WEF: Innovations crucial for world’s future
NUS President Professor Tan Chorh Chuan moderated the session on “Building Innovation Ecosystems” at the Annual Meeting of the New Champions 2013. Otherwise known as the Summer Davos of the World Economic Forum (WEF), the event held at Dalian, China from 11 to 13 September this year focused on “Meeting the Innovation Imperative”. read more.
- 12 September 2013- Department of Architecture students clinch first prize at BCA-SIA-SGBC International Tropical Architecture Design Competition
A three-member team from the National University of Singapore and University of Melbourne has won the International Tropical Architecture Design Competition 2013 for Institutes of Higher Learning for its entry on “Mushroom Community Campus”. The competition, a co-located event of International Green Building Conference (IGBC) 2013, was opened to architecture students from institutes of higher learning around the world and focused on tropical green architecture and sustainable building design solutions. read more.
- 7 August 2013 – SDE Awarded Gold at First-ever NUSSU Rag Day Held at University Town
Town Green at NUS University Town (UTown) was a place transformed on 7 August 2013. Not only was it packed with students, faculty and staff who came to view the show for the NUS Students’ Union (NUSSU) Rag Day 2013, the place was also filled with student performers decked in colourful costumes and decorated with massive displays, like a theme park well-adorned with larger-than-life toys, castles, sea creatures, giant candies, and other colourful and striking exhibits. read more.
- 2 August 2013 – Attracting the Young to the Built Environment Sector
The BCA-Industry Built Environment Scholarship Award Ceremony 2013 was held on 2 August at the Raffles City Convention Centre. The Building and Construction Authority and 45 built environment firms awarded a record 166 undergraduate and diploma scholarship awards at the ceremony, a 50% increase from last year. Of these, 55 were awarded to SDE students. read more.
- 17 July 2013 – Fresh Approaches to Urban Agriculture
Tongji University clinched the top prize in this year’s Vertical Cities Asia International Design Competition. Organised by the NUS School of Design and Environment (SDE), the annual competition is sponsored by international philanthropic organisation World Future Foundation Ltd (WFF) and the Beijing Vantone Citylogic Investment Corporation. read more
- 23 May 2013 – The Division of Industrial Design’s Mr Hans Tan receives the Perspective's 40 Under 40 Recognition 2013 for the field of Product Design. read more
- 6 May 2013 - Publication unveils design incubation process read more
- 2 April 2013 - Journey of Possibilities for the Rail Corridor read more
- 9 January 2013 - Oscillating creations capture 3D design prize read more
- 6 December 2012 - Spotted Nyonya wins President's Design Award read more
- 3 December 2012 - Joint Singapore-China construction management programme read more
- 28 March 2012- Smart cane expands social horizon of visually handicapped read more